Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Book Trip - Meeting Awesome Authors and Winning Prizes!

This weekend I went to Borders in lovely Farmington, CT for a book signing event I found out through twitter from @Eververse (Stella Price). Stella and her sister Audra write books "with a love for the weird, dark and macabre, especially for dark takes of revenge and dark lusts." There website is http://www.stellaandaudra.com/ and on Saturdays you can go to their blog for "Sexy Saturday Sex Scene" where you can read steamy excerpts from their books and try to match a song to the scene to win that book. I have to say it's a great way to sample their writing and get a little hot and bothered on the weekend. If you want to check out more of their writing the books are on ARe and they also have free reads there.

I had an awesome time at the event. Stella was great and entertained us with stories about her sister and discussing how weresnakes are sexy! I also met a new to me author Jessica Andersen and found out that she used to be a geneticist (so as a science Ph.D. student there's hope for me yet that I might end up doing something fun :). Kathryn Smith stopped by and I ended up getting one of her books signed as well even though she wasn't part of the event. Since I learn about books mainly through other peoples blogs and on twitter I had a few awkward moments of speaking in code of "Hey, I'm Darkly Reading - I mean that's my twitter name" or upon finding out what books Kat wrote I said "Hey I know you" and then had to explain that I meant I knew of her books but that no we just met so I didn't really know her..hehe. But overall I think I kept my freak flag in check. I also met Isabelle Santiago and Cat Johnson who are both romance writers and awesome people in general. And since I stuck around most of the event, I won fabulous prizes which are shown below. Mostly I stuck around at the event because Stella was hilarious and everyone was fun to chat with. It was also nice to met authors and learn about books that the bookstore doesn't traditionally carry. Having an ebook reader has definitely been great to get me to branch out and find new authors and now going to events like this one are going to be at the top of my list!


So I purchased Entwined by Fate, Night Keepers, and Be Mine Tonight but the rest was part of the prize pack (which came in a cute basket with heart cut-outs). Also if you can't read the shirt in the pic it says "Weresnakes are sexy...They do it with flexibility...and forked tongues." Now I have alot of reading to do and eating chocolate (and yes if you look close that's a chocolate penis..yummy).

4 comments:

Stella Price said...

LOL Fantastic! It was such fun to meet you hun, And we will have to do it again next time LOL! Hopefully we will see you in September for the AAD event, and Ill tell ya, it gets wilder from here!

Enjoy the snakes! I cant wait to see what you think of them!

Stella

Heather (DarklyReading) said...

The Authors After Dark event sounds like fun - and close to me which is great! I hope I can go! It would be great to see you and your sister in action. And it sounds like you have a great group of people coming already.

Kathryn S said...

It was lovely to meet you! Hope you enjoy Be Mine Tonight. Congrats on the prize pack as well!

Heather (DarklyReading) said...

It was great meeting you!

Post a Comment